Friday, November 23, 2007

Cherry Picking, aka DNS

There may not seem to be, but there is a method the madness to following the WOD as written on the cfit main site(www.crossfit.com), in that you can't "cherry pick" your pain. Otherwise some folks would only do the ME workouts, i.e. heavy lifts, rather than suffer through some metabolic nightmare crap.

I can be as guilty of this as the next guy. But when i show up to the gym, I just do the workout. Not that there hasn't been a touch of controversy about that, too. We have a suggestion list and one of the suggestions is to stop posting the workouts on the internet in the morning. That way the nighttime folks don't know what's coming. One of the trainers thinks that folks are "finding better things to do" than suffer if they see something that looks like pure pain.

I have been guilty of this, not because I want to avoid the pain (though I'm sure there are days that I've looked at it and said . . . ohh, nooooo) but more because of the shoulder and not wanting to give it grief. But that makes it too easy.

But, I've got a new vow, never, ever wuss out. So if I can't do "death by pullup" (starting every minute on the minute do a pull-up increasing by one each minute, i.e., first minute do one pullup, second minute do two, etc., until you can't finish the round, i.e., you run out of minute before you do the number of required pullups) I'll do death by kettlebell or somesuch.

We were joking that someone had a dnf on a ME day, which was funny, but I suggested we start a new acronym: DNS, did not start. It goes with the POD (p***y of the day) label too. In math I think that's DNS = POD, for all values where DNS = cherry picking . . . .

No comments: