Monday, July 21, 2008

Have ya' been to Blockbuster lately?

The problem is this: I don't think I'm exaggerating to say that 70% of the shelf space around the perimiter, where they put the new releases, is full of "straight to video". I mean, I'm not particularly against some low budet or maybe some overlooked gem . . . but it was nearly impossible to find: movies that were actually in theatres.

I read a lot of movie reviews, since we don't get out to movies much. So oddly, I end up with lots of knowledge about movies I've never seen. Blockbuster, however, seems intent on making sure I don't step into their stores and worse, that once I get there, that there is no way to do anything but go through the chaff, looking for wheat. And considering that I probably only want to see, at most, 50% of the movies that actually HIT the theatres and were reviewed, that means I spend most of my time looking at things like "Venom Warriors!- - - When a rogue herpetologist studying martial arts discovers an ancient evil, it's up to him and his lissom lab partner . . "

I mean, they know it's crap, I know it's crap . . . why can't they just put it aside. All I can think is that they make more money from the crap even on a random basis than they do from the stuff people actually want to see.

No comments: