Friday, January 11, 2008

And next we'll be behind exterminators . . .

This is interesting. Evidently, we lawyers are only perceived to be as prestigious as dentists . . .

The funny thing about that is this: you get what you earn. Prestige is a tricky idea anyway. I've always understood it to be something that attaches to the office, but not to you personally. Doesn't that seem a lot like "unearned wealth" or somesuch? Sometimes there is direct correlation: A Rhodes Scholar is likely worthy of his prestige. But how about Senator?

But I also think this can't be anything but good for the profession: if it loses it's built in prestige, maybe, just maybe, it will have to earn some.

And actually, though, I'm jealous. Had I known about investment banking earlier, I might have made a play for that. If you're going to work stupid hours, doing stupid things, this seemed to be a better devil's bargain. I've heard of lots of investment bankers who managed to get their FU money. The only lawyers I've heard of doing that are the jackpot winners, i.e., trial lawyers who get a lucky break.

No comments: