Friday, January 11, 2008

Not a no, but a heck no . . .

I find this telling: in an efficiency review, composing a letter and printing it is supposed to take more time than printing a will.

Okay, maybe I'm confused, but I think this question assumes a great deal, or the authors are not EP practitioners. If they mean print, as in "I've spent the hour with the client discerning jst what they want to have happen" and "now I've added in the specific bequests of certain items" but the printing time is only 5 minutes, fine. But that's like saying "We're not counting the writing time of the client correspondence, only the time it takes to click 'print'".

And what do we mean by simple will? Outright to surviving spouse? Okay, I can see that. But I recently had some "I love you" wills done with my lovely bride. We have no assets to speak of. The wills are relatively simple: the survivor gets all the stuff. I know it took more than 5 minutes to plan and print.

I don't want to say the authors don't know what they're talking about, but I'm guessing they don't know what they're talking about. It's a huge and common misconception amongst lawyer folks who don't do this for a living that once we wrote the form down in the computer, it's a matter of sticking in the right names and everything is hunky dory, that 99% of what we do is make boiler plate.

So, if we're only talking about printing up a basic will . . . i.e. click, print, yeah, 5 minutes. Otherwise I want to know why clients pay for litigators to review the deposition they attended. :-) Because maybe, just maybe, there's more to it than that.

No comments: