Friday, January 11, 2008

How I spent my winter vacation!

Karen has another assignment.

So, how I spent my winter vacation!

What I like most about winter. I winter in Texas, near Dallas to be exact. Winter in Texas is more annoying than behavior altering. I don't know the exact figures, but we have lows in the 40's, generally. That's coat weather. Often all that means is that I throw a sport coat on as I go to work. I mean, really, I move from house garage to work garage and never leave the car.

So, what do I like about it? It's a respite from the heat. Texas can get blazingly hot in the summer, with the humidity to boot. I don't have to mow the lawn. But, there's not much to love about a Texas winter: there's just no there there. If there is something to love it's the absence of winter. The fact that cold just pops you indoors for a couple days at a time. The winters here aren't as unrelenting as the winters in places like Utah and Kansas, where I've lived.

What do I hate about them? The ice storms: because even though Dallas is full of Yankees, y'all forgot how to drive in this stuff. About once a winter, it rains and that crap freezes all over the roads. And we don't close the office until the Dallas public schools close. And they are evidently unconcerned by things such as oh, people driving to school and dying, hit by errant Yankees and Bubbas with 4 wheel drive and a lack of knowledge of physics . . . So on those days I must drive to work, white knuckling the drive . . . yay.

No comments: