Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Virtual Shovelling . . .

PM wod

Weird A** Virtual Shovel workout:

Pack

25-20-15-10 shovels/pushups

shovels: 6' 35lb girly bar plus 25lb plate and 10 extra . . .

10:35 . . . Kempie is right, this was just wrong . . .

touching end of bar over a 26" stepladder, with an 18 inch base . . .

The thing I noticed about this, is I'd like to know where you ought to put your hands. If its one hand at the far end and one in the middle, then I didn't quite do that. I had my hand closer to the end of the bar, I mean, not to the end, but somewhere between smooth part of the bar and the knurling. I can't remember, but I'm with Kempie, it's like a deadlift with a Franken step . . .

Went back and looked at the vid and the woman was holding the bar pretty close to the weight, the picture on the Brand X site showed it more like a shovel, but if that was a 45lb plate, that guy is a hoss . . .

Anyway, I think my pushups were pretty good but this was a chest, back, and grip destroyer. Plus the whole multiples counting thing . . . over and back = one. I had LOTS of redone reps because when I get into the wod i get the dain brammage and I start counting the easiest thing which is every time the bar taps the floor . . .

1 comment:

JTM said...

I'd file this one under: 'this is just stupid'.

we were limited on equipment so we did it as a partner workout. one person 'shoveling' the other doing pushups... except that we decided to substitute burpees for the pushups just to keep anyone from resting too much. took us about twice as long.

i couldn't figure out where to hold the bar either. i think in the last few rounds it turned into an odd single sided deadlift with a weird step before/after.

back hurts a little bit today. not sure if was bad form or if it was part of the built in suck for this wod.

i hope to never see 'virtual shoveling' again.

anyway, great time. you kicked ass.