Friday, March 21, 2008

Row row row your watts . . .

Fun and funny workout last night:

First the warmup was funny:

Four rounds of overhead "Cindy":

5 pullups
10 pushups
15 overhead squats (with pvc)
samson stretch, each leg 10 sec.

That was kinda fun, not having to bust a move on the whole thing.

Then the workout was a rowing step test:

Tabata style, row for watts, attempt to average body weight and then increase 10% each round.

For me that works out to 170, 187, 204, 221, 238, 255, 272, 289

Made all eight rounds, i.e., never failed to get my 10% increase.

Then I did a minute of max calories. Should have gone for three, but by then the time was slipping away.

Next time I think I'll try and bump the step, either starting at a higher point, or by increasing more each time. I did manage to get up to 350 watts, on the last row, when I had 20 seconds of going for broke.

Update: Metric pointed out I left ya hangin' there: 30 calories in one minute. Usually in FGB I go anywhere from 17-20. (Or actually, more like 20, 17, 15 :-) )

4 comments:

Craig Massey said...

How many calories do you get in a minute?

TexasPatrick said...

I'll update the post, but it was 30. I don't think the technique was all that good.

Craig Massey said...

Thank-you.

I'm interested because my rower displays calories and I used the number displayed for FGB the other day and I got numbers like 3.8. I noticed it incremented by 0.2 with each stroke, so I was pretty sure it wasn't really giving me a proper score.

The good new then is that if I do FGB using a C2 rower, which mine most emphatically is not, I should be getting a score of about 250ish. Close to 300 if I match your output, but I doubt I will given fatigue from the the movements.
I feel better about what I scored now. :-)

Craig Massey said...

And the comparison with FGB is very useful too. Sorry, just saw that.

You were really motoring this time then. Very Cool TP!

Thanks.