Friday, February 22, 2008

Shoulder Rehab part whatever . . .

So finished the first three ART (Active Release Technique) sessions for the shoulder. The range of motion is fine, and everything works fine.

Two main problems though: bicipital tendonitis, and likely an impingement too.

I'll keep a diary to see what seems to work and what doesn't. Thing is, I did a ton of rotator cuff things and they didn't get rid of the impingement, but the bicipital tendonitis did nearly go away last time.

So some pressure must have been off it.

I'll pay more attention to scapular issues, including a regimen of face pulls as well as some pushup work, i.e. the "unstable" pushup like rings, on an exercise ball, etc.

3 comments:

Craig Massey said...

Bicepital tendonitis is part of my problem too.

Keeping a diary of what you do to fix it is a very good idea. I don't know how many times I've had the same basic injury and each time I've had to re-invent my recovery techniques. I mean even before they had blogs, they'd invented paper, I could have written it down.

Very jealous of the ART. I don't know anyone doing that here and it's the bee's knee's for so many different injuries.

Anonymous said...

ok... I've seen most of those words before but never all next to each other and stuff... but, I'm pretty sure this has something to do with a shoulder injury... is this recent or something you've been dealing with for a while?

TexasPatrick said...

Bruce: Yes, the injury has been there in various levels of severity since about June when I went hog wild trying to get my pullup numbers up. Doh. Note to self: too much too fast almost always equals injury. It's mostly just annoying, but without resolving it, it really can only get worse.

Craig--Yeah, the diary thing was a flash of stupidity as in "how could I have been so stupid as to not keep track of what helps!" And the ART has actually made the injured shoulder feel better than the non injured one . . . it feels great except for the pain . . . i.e., the shoulder movement is smooth and nice, the pain is still there, albeit decreasing in small but substantial amounts.